Austin Independent School District

Address: 
1111 W 6th St., Austin, TX 78703

The Austin Independent School District (AISD) is the fifth largest school district in Texas, and serves approximately 86,100 students at 124 schools. We are a diverse, urban district that is making great progress in student academic achievement. A study commissioned by the Austin Chamber of Commerce concluded "Austin's public schools are comparable, if not superior to, the benchmarked cities of Denver, Phoenix, Raleigh-Durham and Seattle." Unlike many urban school districts in the U.S. today, AISD has a richly diverse student community. It includes children from all economic levels and all kinds of backgrounds. Also unlike many other urban school districts, AISD enjoys widespread community support. They also support families that represent more than 94 languages, and they teach seven languages other than English in our schools, including Chinese, Japanese, and American Sign Language.

Sixty percent of their students are Hispanic, 24 percent are White (not of Hispanic origin), 9 percent are Black (not of Hispanic origin), and 3 percent are Asian/Pacific Islander. Over 54 percent their students come from low-income families, and 24 percent enter their schools as English-Language Learners.

The Austin School District understands that parents want choice. That's why they offer a variety of instructional programs devoted to your child's unique needs, talents, and interests. Committed to preparing students for the challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century, they invite you to discover the specialized programs of our magnet schools and focus academies.